With 6.0.2 arriving soon, here’s a quick overview of the changes you need to know without the noise that you don’t.
Before Warlords release:
- Earth Shock is gone. Use Frost Shock in its place.
- Weapon imbues are now a passive in your spellbook. You’ll never have to cast them again. Rockbiter is gone. Frostbrand is now a glyph.
- Searing Flames is gone. This makes the choice between Searing and Magma much easier. Lava Lash hits harder on its own as well.
- Stormlash Totem is gone.
- Healing Tide Totem, Chain Heal and Spiritwalker’s Grace are gone. We still have Healing Rain, Healing Stream Totem and Healing Surge for heals.
- Each school of totem no longer has its own drop down menu. They are all listed alphabetically among all of your other abilities.
Ability and talent changes
- Unleash Elements no longer does damage. Its other effects were buffed making it more effective, but you can’t use it to tag mobs anymore.
- Stormstrike, Lava Lash, Shocks, Fire Nova and Unleash Elements all have their cooldowns reduced by haste, making the play style a bit faster.
- Lightning Bolt can’t be cast on the move anymore.
- Ascendance and Fire Elemental are a lot weaker. Feral Spirits are a lot stronger.
- Echo of the Elements talent is no longer passive. It gives a chance when you deal any damage for your next Stormstrike, Lava Lash or Fire Nova to not trigger a cooldown. It has a visual effect around the Shaman and a “spell alert” to go along with it now.
- Earth Elemental’s damage has been lowered by 90% so you won’t really want to use it for damage anymore.
- Hex can no longer be made instant cast by any means.
- Healing Storm glyph is now passive.
Rotation and gear changes
- Hit and Expertise no longer exist as stats. You’re capped on both automatically. Bosses can still parry if you attack from the front.
- Reforging is gone.
- Versatility and Multistrike are new stats. Versatility lowers damage taken and increases damage and healing done. Multistrike gives all attacks and heals a chance to hit for 30% extra.
- Due to affecting ability cooldowns, Haste is the stat you’ll want to focus on. Mastery will continue to be strong, but should stay behind Haste from now on. Don’t ignore any stat, though, they are all decent.
- Aside from using Frost Shock in Earth Shock’s place, your rotation shouldn’t change too much at level 90.
- Elemental Blast is the only truly weak DPS talent. Avoid it for now.
Looking forward to Warlords:
As you level in Draenor, you’ll gain a perk every even level you reach. There are 5 bonuses total, and you’ll earn them in a random order. These bonuses are:
- Improved Reincarnate – Reincarnate grants 50% more health and mana. This means your health will be at 70% after using Reincarnate.
- Empowered Lava Lash – Lava Lash spreads Flame Shock to two more targets than before.
- Improved Flame Shock – All Flame Shock ticks have a 15% chance to reset the cooldown of Lava Lash. This is a much stronger version of our Tier 16 4-piece set bonus, and is very powerful in large-scale AoE.
- Enhanced Unleash – Unleash Elements grants you 30% movement speed for 4 seconds.
- Improved Maelstrom Weapon – Offensive spell casts gain 10% damage per stack. This makes Lightning Bolt much higher priority.
Level 100 talents:
- Elemental Fusion – Lava Lash increases the damage of your next Shock by 40%, stacking up to 2 times. The bonus to Flame Shock is not spread to other targets.
- Storm Elemental Totem – Summons a powerful Greater Storm Elemental that deals damage from range and heals near its target. 5 minute cooldown, lasts for 1 minute. This has priority over Fire Elemental if you choose the talent.
- Liquid Magma – Your current fire totem spews globs of lava at nearby random enemies for 10 seconds. Each glob can hit things within 4 yards of the target. 45 second cooldown. Your fire totem will need to have a remaining duration over 10 seconds to get full benefit of the ability. There is no way to control what it attacks, but it provides burst damage and AoE damage so it can still be very valuable.
- Emphemeral Spirits – Duration and cooldown of Feral Spirit is reduced by 50%. This works the same as the Fire Elemental glyph. Cannot be used with Feral Spirit glyph.
- Frostbrand Weapon – Your off-hand weapon attacks also slow the target’s movement speed by 50% for 3 seconds.
- Grounding – Lowers the cooldown on Grounding Totem by 3 sec. Cannot be used with Grounding Totem glyph.
- Lava Spread – Lava Lash spreads Flame Shock up to 8 yards further away (for a total of 20 yards). Cannot be used with Lava Lash glyph.
- Reactive Shielding – Lightning Shield damage can trigger once every 1.5 seconds instead of 3 seconds. Cannot be used with Lightning Shield glyph.
- Shamanistic Resolve – Doubles the effect and cooldown of Shamanistic Rage. Cannot be used with Shamanistic Rage glyph.
- Shocks – The range of Shock and Wind Shear spells is increased by 5 yards. This is convenient for tagging creatures.
- Ghostly Speed – If cast out of combat, Ghost Wolf is 60% stronger, bringing it up to 90%. This doesn’t stack with anything. Cannot be used with Ghost Wolf glyph.