Just a quick overview of all of the Shaman changes going live this week.
- Ancestral Guidance is now triggered by all damage and healing and multistrikes instead of just direct damage and healing.
- Storm Elemental damage and healing increased by 30%
This will likely make Storm Elemental the default talent choice for Enhancement, and closer to competitive for Elemental and Restoration. Liquid Magma should continue to have situational value for Enhancement.
- Echo of the Elements now gives affected abilities a second charge instead of being a proc that causes those abilities to not incur a cooldown. Spirit Link Totem has been added to the affected abilities.
This is an interesting change that will cause the talent to notably change Enhancement’s priority when taken. Because of that, It may take some time for its true value to be made known in sims, but it has a much more pleasing feel and higher skill cap than the previous version. It will shift our damage breakdown toward Stormstrike, Lava Lash and Fire Nova as the previous version did, but do so in a way that allows skill and planning to have an impact. The addition of Spirit Link for Restoration gives it the potential for a lot of situational value.
- Frozen Power will no longer trigger Elemental’s mastery.
This will be a slight buff to the talent for Elemental when cast on targets you haven’t damaged.
Here’s a consolidated list of announced changes for all Shaman specs in Warlords, preceded by a direct quote from the Shaman section of the official notes.
Shaman has received a variety of changes, most of which are specialization-specific.
For Elemental and Enhancement, we had a few problems to solve. Enhancement suffers from having their damage split among so many damage sources that none of it feels impressive. We changed the damage of several abilities to try to reorganize their damage into fewer, more impactful abilities, while keeping the net total the same. For a long time Elemental Shaman were one of the specs most impacted by movement, at a time where other casters were increasingly able to cast while moving.
For Warlords of Draenor, we’re pulling back on the ability for many casters to deal damage while moving, and that includes Elemental. They will still have some ability to deal damage while moving, through Shocks, Unleash Weapon, and instant Lava Bursts. For Chain Lightning, we wanted to reduce the impact of Haste soft capping, and so changed Shamanism to increase damage instead of reduce cast time. Additionally, we simplified Wind Shear by removing its impact on threat, which no longer matters.
Restoration Shaman had the most passive and smart healing of any healer, and so received some reductions in that area, along with buffs elsewhere to keep them competitive. One particular change is to Mana Tide Totem, which we made less effective for other players, but still just as effective for the Shaman. We like that Shaman could help other healers out on mana, but it was just too strong, significantly impacting how those other healers gear themselves.
- Ancestral Awakening has been removed.
- Feral Spirit no longer has the Spirit Bite ability.
- Flametongue Weapon is no longer available to Restoration Shaman.
- Frostbrand Weapon is now available only to Enhancement Shaman.
- Greater Healing Wave has been renamed to Healing Wave.
- Healing Tide Totem is now available only to Restoration Shaman.
- Healing Wave has been removed.
- Lava Burst now replaces Primal Strike for Elemental and Restoration Shaman.
- Magma Totem is now available only to Enhancement Shaman.
- Rockbiter Weapon has been removed.
- Static Shock has been removed.
- Stormstrike and Stormblast now deal 30% more damage when Lightning Shield is active.
- Stormlash Totem has been removed.
- Searing Flames has been removed.
- Flametongue Weapon damage has been increased by 40%, and Lava Lash damage has been increased to 280% weapon damage (up from 140%) to compensate.
- Water Shield is now available only to Restoration Shaman and replaces Lightning Shield.